image
how did it come to this (ooh ooh ooh aye-ai-ai-ai-ahh) (domingo, 29 de abril de 2007),







I have this
affliction
where I assume all my friends' surnames are Tan. I have no idea why. Once on 51 backfrom school with marilyn (whom I know from PRIMARY SCHOOL) I was like, "Hey your surname's tan right?" And she indignantly exclaimed, "NO it's GOHHHHH!!!!"
And once on msn I said to rae, "rachel tan!" as a greeting because I needed to talk to her. In the end she was all, "Lols im not rachel tan btw. Im rachel LEE!"
And the first time I came for a visit back to singapore I dimwittedly referred to ms teo the choir teacher as ms lim, TWICE. She gave me strange looks all day haha.
Usually only the people I know very well escape with their last names intact. Lim Jing Ying's name rhymes! Felicia's a CHIA like me. michelleY(eo). Nick has two Ns in his TANN. Carren TONGUE (thung). And Gan isn't even chinese hahaha.

I'm waiting for a certain Patriarch Lee to die. I believe he's holding Little Lee back from making his own uninformed, personal style of decisions. Logically speaking, Little Lee can't go against his father without ruining the Men in White's oh-so-unified front.
I also don't like how a certain party of Men in White continuously make up posts for Patriarch Lee just so he can stay on. The problem is, once he ascends to his next position, his immediate subordinate (in this case a certain Goh) also gets promoted to his old position and we end up having THREE pri-- pack leaders. I believe the Men in White should just refer to our noble patriach and pay him consultant's fees, not keep him permanently on the payroll.
Step down, distinguished sir-who-delivered-us-from-the-sorry-fate-of-'less fortunate'-countries. It's our time now. Let your offspring prove himself on a level playing field.
Or are you not as confident he can win our hearts and the hearts of those who live in hearts themselves* like you did?

I don't think highlighting the difference between races can be considered racism (like the colour of skin and the smell of Certain Types of Hair). Racism to me is the belief that the differences that set our races apart somehow make one race superior to another.
Do we not joke around affectionately with terms like ang moh and cheena/chink? Do we not refer our caucasian friends as white peepz? Do we not say things like, "This is because I'm black, isn't it!" to people darker than ourselves? (okay this one's mostly arief's doing)

Mehh. I don't know why, but suddenly I've this intense liking for modest mouse, the arcade fire and sufjan stevens. I mean, I did like them before, but I was still quite absorbed with listening to the gigantic/blah blah blah/young folk series of songs that nick sent me last time.

*clever phrase for 'heartlanders' that I should totally copywrite.

domingo, abril 29, 2007