image
childhood musings (sábado, 5 de enero de 2008),

Aww lookee what I found :)
Some fellow lim tai see-dweller has expounded on old memories. Though his/her article seems to be based a reeeeeeeaaaaaal long time before I was ever born (boars? kampongs? a chinese temple that was higher than the road?). Anyway so. That post pushed me into a wave of old, familiar memories! That I shall divulge right now lest in my old age I forget.

There was this playground situated right next to the loooong 6th ave road going to guthrie house. My siblings/neighbours and I used to hang there all the time! This blue and red rope net suspended by two ends on two wooden frames like a U used to be connected to the usual playground tall house things. This was years ago, but I could've sworn we used to compete to see who could reach the top the fastest.
My sister and I would always rush for the nearby swing since it was the only one there at the time (guess who won. hint: not me).
And who could forget the huge fitness corner! More like a fitness ground itself. It was about as large as the playground, maybe slightly smaller. They had the coolest things there; four wooden logs of ascending weight, wooden foot planks, a sit-up bench, parallel bars and those pull-up bars you always see. The parallel bars were my favourite! Being quite a tiny (but agile) kid, I'd always have to scramble up the wooden supports before I could balance myself on the bars. My sister taught me this cool trick where you hook the crook of your knees of one bar and let go of everything else so you just...lie there suspended in the air.
And there'd always be other kids there to play with. One time I brought my hamster there to play with, and I met this girl with whom I got along with quite well. She told me she'd be back the next day with her rabbit, but I must've forgotten/not been allowed out, 'cause the next time I saw her was aaaaages later, in like p1 or 2, when I used to wander the general district 10 area by myself.

'Twas quite funny la. I was walking past jalan haji alias I think, when suddenly she bounded out and we hung out again. Her name was janine I think, and she had this vicious barking dog that scared the poop out of me, two male hamsters (a mirror of my two female ones!), a parakeet I think and her bunny. It's kind of been years, so I really don't remember much. I think I could still point out the house though :)
So I'd meet her every couple days and we'd do cool stuff that I used to do with my sister before she became too cool/mature for me, like explore drains and neighbourhoods and breed hamsters.
We almost succeeded with the hamsters once. Marie got pregnant and I could recognise the signs! I came back one school day, however, to find a bloody, lifeless body of a stillborn child at the corner of their cage. I WAS DEVASTATED. I took the body and I WASHED IT and I CRIED and I went over to charlene and audrey's house even though they were having dinner, and told them about it. That was our first and last attempt.
And then, one day, I got sick of her, like I get sick of everyone. And then I ignored her until one day she just stopped calling/paying house visits.
Though I guess she wasn't wholly innocent in the matter. She got quite irksome towards the end of our friendship, shrill voice at the ready and always accusing. Even my sister agreed she was abit annoying.

I always get sick of people. Why do I always get sick of people? It's such a debilitating flaw and it ALWAYS gets the best of me. If I'm sick of you, that's it, we're done. At least till I get un-sick again, which has on occasion taken months.
Though I guess it's a good sign that I feel really really really guilty about this now. Guilt leads to change after all. Mostly.
I do it to the most undeserving people sometimes, too. Good, loyal people that deserve a better friendship than I can provide. (If you ever read this, I'm sorry kailene)
How do I change?

Okay this is depressing, and I have church in a couple hours.
Though I guess on the plus side, I seem to have regained my desire to write longlong. :)
Peace out, yo.

sábado, enero 05, 2008