image
the comic course! (sábado, 22 de noviembre de 2008),

I'm back in 'Nam liao. :(

The course was fantastic. He went into sufficient depth that we actually learnt something, but not so much that we got lost. There were several instances when we had to draw our own little draft panels:

My 'Final Destination' one, where we had to summarise the plot of a movie into around 12 panels. I finished at 6 because Final Destination really has no plot.

And that's how I learnt that drawing people now and then on any available surface and drawing them in a comic are two kind of different slices of pie. As you can see, once I start drawing people in panels, all my detail hops out the window with a rude gesture and a "SCREW YOU!" 'Tis something I'll have to improve.
So then I just embraced my cartoony-ness for the next exercise and made the people short and adorable on purpose when they weren't being viewed up close:

The end of 'Perfume', when he gets eaten alive out of love. I didn't get to finish it though!

And yeah for that one I put a little more effort in, i.e. I even drew the darn stick figures and building plans in lighter pencil before filling everything in.

On the first day, as the lunch break began, this girl suddenly sat down in the seat to my right and was like, "Hi! I really like your hair! Is it natural?" and asked me to lunch with another guy she'd just met, and after that, we were friends!
Her name's Seraphina, and she's 21 and she freelances (I think) and draws really beautiful people! By the second day, she had a little crowd of youngsters around her table, asking her how to draw the sexy ladies hahah. Also, she kind of looks a little like Jingying, except that their features are sized differently and in different places. She even shares Jingying's propensity to loudness and being outgoing and friendly :)

On the first day, after the comic course, I hung out with Chris at the general cityhall-marina square area! We went shopping and I bought a blouse and a pair of plain, gold heels for saliendo.
And then we went to the 7-eleven at clementi to by me a tooth brush, and the funniest thing happened. While I was squatting next to the shelf, this emaciated malay girl walked in. I whispered conspiratorially to Chris, "That girl is sooooo skinny!" And he was like, "-_-' Chia Lynn, she's right beside you." I turned around frantically with a "*GASP* Where?!" as she walked to the other side of the shelf. Then began about 7 minutes of me constantly giggling and fretting and fussing and going, "Oh sheezy sheezy sheezy, did she hear me? Is she still there?" and Chris going "Yeah... and she can still hear us." until finally: "Okay, she's gone to the cashier." I went, "Okay, Imma go hide at the back!" and I skipped to the back of the place and waited, grinning like an idiot. She passed me as she left, and we just kinda stared at each other through the glass. She looked like she was trying not to smile, though, so that's good! :)
And afterward, as we were walking back to the bus stops, something really horrible happened that Chris and I will keep as a secret for the rest of our miserable lives. It involved bird poop, and hair. o_O That's all I'm gonna say.
And on the second day, Johnston and Karen joined us (but I didn't buy anything then). And I finally got to talk to her.
And on my last evening, I went to funan with Sera 'cause my dad wanted an extra moto charger for the phone he got me and my mother, but we couldn't find one and she had to go! So I trawled citylink and suntec by myself until my thighs and feet were aching. There was a handphone shop in suntec, and the owner told me they don't sell that charger in Singapore (It's different from all the other motorola phones apparently), which made sense 'cause they don't sell the damn phone in Singapore, either. My dad ordered it from the UK.

I want to rant against that phone. I looked it up after he gave it to me, and it turned out it was targeted at the illiterate! THAT was why there were no words on the phone, only voice help and symbols. And text is only displayed on 2 lines. Texts are hard to read and the phone only recognises 6 punctuation symbols -_-' everything else it turns into -s. And every time I turn it on, the time and date resets and I have to re-input it. The only thing it has going for it is the fact that it's prettier than my current phone. It doesn't even have colour! :( And it stores texts on the sim-card. So yeah, I'm just gonna stick with my old nokia 8250, with no colour and a text limit of 30 and a screwed up battery life.

I was feeling pretty tired and spent, so I went into Mango for a pick-me-up and bought blouse and a pair of shiny shorts! YAY! I've always wanted shiny pants and shiny shorts are just like one step away from those haha.
And then I went to the yangabode and watched Fate Stay Night and took pictures with marcus' photobooth and tried out Fallout 3. Karen left at around 2 and we continued with the photos and the anime until I fell asleep.

sábado, noviembre 22, 2008